Benjamin Mendy

Mancity star Benjamin Mendy found not guilty of six counts of rape

Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy has been found not guilty of six counts of r@pe and one count of s.e.xual assault.

Jurors could not reach verdicts on one count of rape and one of attempted rape, following a six-month trial at Chester Crown Court.

The prosecution sought a retrial on those counts and it has been scheduled for 26 June.

Louis Saha Matturie, 41, was also found not guilty of three counts of r@pe.

Jurors failed to reach verdicts on three counts of r@pe and three counts of s.e.xual assault against him.

Mr Mendy and his friend Mr Matturie had been accused of raping and women at the player’s home in Prestbury, Cheshire, and at a Manchester flat.

Prosecutors told the jury Mr Mendy was a “predator” who turned the pursuit of women for sex into a game.

But jurors were also told by defence lawyers that while the trial, involving money, sex and celebrity, had “all the makings of a good drama”, it came with a significant “plot twist” – that the accused were innocent.

Mr Mendy covered his face with both hands as the jury foreman repeated “not guilty” to the six counts, which related to four young women or teenagers.

The unanimous verdicts were delivered on Wednesday by the seven men and four women on the jury, one juror having been discharged earlier for medical reasons.

The verdicts could not be reported until jurors concluded considering the remaining two counts, after they were given a majority direction by Judge Steven Everett, meaning he would accept a 10-1 majority on any verdict.

But after 14 days of deliberation, jurors could not reach verdicts on Mr Mendy’s alleged attempted rape of a woman, 29, in 2018 and the alleged rape of another woman, 24, in October 2020.

Judge Everett discharged the jury on Friday, ending the trial.

Both men had been on trial since 10 August, accused of multiple sexual offences by 13 women.

Matthew Conway, prosecuting, said the prosecution would seek a retrial on the counts the jury could not reach verdicts on.

He said: “The prosecution has made a decision. We have made a decision today, which is to proceed on these counts in two separate trials and we seek today a provisional case management.”

A statement from Manchester City said: “Given there are open matters related to this case, the club is not in a position to comment further at this time.”

The allegations and trial had been “absolute hell” for Mr Mendy, the court heard, with his life in football “over” as he would “never escape” the accusations.

-BBC

ALSO READ,

Connie Ferguson Dedicates King Of Joburg Season 2 To The Late Shona Ferguson

Connie Ferguson releases the official trailer of King of Joburg season 2 which stars her late husband, Shona Ferguson. Season 2 will be premiered on the 27th of January and the trailer excited people.Connie-Ferguson-3 With the sudden and suspicious disappearance of the King of Jo’burg Simon Masire, the family struggles to adapt to a new king and ...LEARN MORE

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *