Connect with us

local

PICTURES: South Africans break lockdown rules as they battle for a chance to get food parcels

Published

on

PICTURES: South Africans break lockdown rules as they battle for a chance to get food parcels

In the community just outside Centurion, Pretoria, thousands were seen queuing and pushing in the hope of receiving food parcels to get them through the Level 4 lockdown. The parcels were being distributed at Walter Sisulu Primary School.

Thousands of hungry residents did not care about breaking lockdown rules as they pushed to get food parcels in Olievenhoutbosch on Saturday after becoming the victims of fake news.CROWD5

Scores of people, some in masks, seemed to overwhelm the Public Order Police and SA National Defence Force soldiers were called in for back-up.

Some residents had been queuing since Friday night, sleeping on the pavements in the hope of being the first to receive food parcels once dawn broke – due to false information that had been doing the rounds.CROWD4

According to Gauteng department of social development spokesperson Thabiso Hlongwane, a post on social media claimed the food parcels were nearly finished.

“That is why we had to go there and stop the people from queuing and deal with the issue of social distancing.CROWD1

“Initially, the distribution of food was done door-to-door, but you find that it’s not only Olievenhoutbosch residents there. There are people who call others from places to come to Olievenhoutbosch to receive food.”

Only residents of extensions 19, 20 and 22 were meant to get food parcels on Saturday night.Despite the chaos, parcels were handed out by a church and a non-governmental organisation, Mahlasedi Foundation, which collaborated with the department.

The department was now close to reaching their target of feeding 30,000 people in Olievenhoutbosch as about 20,000 residents had already received food parcels.
The parcels included mielie meal, four tins of baked beans, four cans of corned beef, salt and instant porridge.

The department prioritised those who were unemployed, the elderly, those from child-headed households, the disabled and the homeless. So far, the department has fed 220,000 people. This excluded food distributed by non-governmental organisations and other stakeholders, Hlongwane said.

“People must get food for the next coming months and beyond and we want to come up with a strategy of doing better, even beyond the lockdown,” he added.

ALSO READ. . . .

‘Employees with Covid-19 symptoms must be granted paid sick leave’says Minister Nxesi

Thulas Nxesi

‘Employees with Covid-19 symptoms must be granted paid sick leave’says Minister Nxesi

Nxesi was on Sunday outlining the minimum guidelines for employers to ensure the workplace is safe for employees expected to return to work on Monday under level 4 of lockdown…full details

|Trending On ZA News Online| Khanyi Mbau and Lasizwe’s father Menzi Mcunu has died South Africa woke up to sad news about the death of a businessman Menzi Mcunu, who is allegedly media personality and actress Khanyi Mbau and Youtuber Lasizwe‘s father. The reason behind his death is still unknown yet, both Mzansi stars took to social media to announce their dad’s passing...read more

Trending