Joburg mayor self-isolating after staff member contracts COVID-19
A staff member at the office of the executive mayor of Johannesburg, Geoff Makhubo has tested positive for COVID-19, prompting to go under self-isolation. According to the office, the employee had attended a funeral at the Western Cape, the country’s epicentre of the coronavirus.
Makhubo has since undergone a test of his own, which returned a negative result, but has opted for a second test as a precautionary measure. The mayor’s spokesperson, Mlimandlela Ndamase revealed in a statement that all staff members have followed suit in testing for COVID-19 and undertaking their duties remotely.
“The entire staff complement in the executive mayor’s office has also, as a precaution, undergone tests to determine their COVID-19 status.“The Office of the Executive Mayor will be operating from isolated sites as prescribed by the protocols in place to prevent the spread of COVID-19,” Ndamase said in the statement.
“The mayor will continue to monitor and provide guidance on work currently being carried out to contain and manage the spread of COVID-19 in the city whilst in self-isolation. The mayor has wished the said staff member well during their treatment and recovery process.”
This follows shortly after another mayor, this time in the Eastern Cape, had tested positive for the coronavirus. OR Tambo municipality mayor Thokozile Sokanyile – also a chairperson of the Coronavirus District Command Council – had to self-isolate after contracting the novel virus.
Other leaders to test positive for COVID-19 in the province are Engcobo municipality mayor Siyabulela Zangqa and Chris Hani district councillors Khaya Bizana and Yanga Zicina tested positive in May.
Elsewhere, Western Cape Premier Alan Winde also went under self-isolation for two weeks after coming into contact with eNCA cameraman, Lungile Tom, who had passed away following complications related to the virus.
South Africa has 45 973 confirmed cases of COVID-19, with the death toll at 998 as of Sunday night. Health Minister Dr. Zweli Mkhize is expected to issue out another update on Monday.
TRENDING ON ZAnewsOnline. . . .
Former President Jacob Zuma and baby mama Nonkanyiso break up
acob Zuma and his 25-year-old fiance Nonkanyiso Conco have allegedly split up. Sunday Sun reports that sources close to the couple claim they broke up late last year and Conco has moved out of…full story